Every body is unique. This can present a challenge to yoga teachers and practitioners, not only in terms of adapting to ability, but also figuring out how to deal with muscle tightness, weakness, over flexibility, and other common asymmetries. In this 6-part course, yoga therapist Shy Sayar addresses key approaches that can help us and each student in our class access safe, healthy, integrated alignment.
Study with Shy, founder and director of the anatomy-based alignment system of the Tantravaya Yoga Research School, and learn the four pairs of oppositional actions that are both necessary and sufficient for every body in every active pose or movement, both in yoga and in any physical activity.
Come to understand the dictates of human anatomy behind these actions that make them universal to every body, while the organization into pairs facilitates customizing each gesture to every different body and need. Learn how to apply the principal actions in your own body and in teaching, and to customize cues & internal actions in each pose for every body. Understand how different bodies & postures require varying degrees of emphasis on one or the other action within each pair.
- A consistent and easy-to-remember pair of principles that you can use to analyze and teach each yoga pose to students at any level
- Four pair of oppositional actions – two for the upper body and two for the lower body that you can apply in each pose to find perfect alignment
- The benefits of each set of principles as they balance the engagements of all the necessary muscles, optimize bone stacking to minimize unnecessary effort and increase stability and strength throughout the body
- How each pairs of principles relate to the Bandhas: Pada Bandha, Mulabandha, and Jalandhara Bandha.
- How common postural misalignment arise when a set of principles is not engaged or overdone
- How to bring every body safely and effectively to every yoga posture, while at the same time honoring individual differences.
- How to build a strong foundation, which will automatically translate into optimum alignment in other postures.
This Course also Includes:
- Recordings of All 4 Webinar Sessions and 2 Practice Videos: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of all webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of All Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 6 non-contact CEs with Yoga Alliance.