The ability to balance is essential for numerous aspects of daily living, and it is a prerequisite for retaining mobility and independent living, no matter what our age.
Balance problems increase over time, and so does the risk of injurious falls. About one third of people over 65 fall each year; at 80 years, one out of two fall annually.
With the right approach, however, it is entirely possible to maintain a high level of balance and stability over time. In this online course, yoga therapist and kinesiololgist Dr. Gill Solberg highlights the numerous factors that impact our ability to balance and ways to help retain stability throughout life.
This course lays out a yoga therapy program for balance, motor control and core stability problems. It presents the key information needed by yoga teachers and yoga therapists to understand and address common motor and stability problems.
What You Will Learn
- The difference between static and dynamic balance and why it’s important to train dynamic balance before static.
- The main body systems used in preserving balance, and the different stages of information processing that maintain body stability.
- The main causes of balance problems and how to perform basic observations to assess the origin of specific balance problems
- How to create a balance training program for different issues
- Why balance difficulties often have their foundation in kinesthetic issues—such as misperception of the positioning of different body parts
- Various applied techniques to treat and improve balance, posture, and core stability. Practical and professional tools that you can use to improve your own balance or that of your students
- How to improve the quality of movement to create greater core stability and spinal control
- How to build an adaptive movement framework, improve breathing quality through yoga therapy and adaptive yoga asanas, and create a firm foundation for motor control with increased stability and balance.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video: Enjoy a 35-minute video practice that Gill has created specifically for this course to illustrate key learning materials.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 and MP4), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the webinar sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 non-contact hour CEs with Yoga Alliance.