Spinal extension and flexion each have tremendous benefits for both body and mind. When we open the front body with backbends, we counteract the effects of daily lives often spent hunched over screens and steering wheels, thus mobilizing the upper back and opening the heart in transformative ways. When we forward bend, we have the opportunity to turn inward, quieting the mind and cultivating the qualities of calm and introspection. Yet many students avoid both these families of postures because they lack the information necessary to practice them safely and reap their myriad rewards.
In this two-part course we will systematically explore the alignment and anatomy that will allow you to practice and teach these poses with confidence and ease. In both sessions there will be an emphasis on intelligent, themed sequencing and the use of props and modifications so that the poses are accessible to everyone at each stage in their practice.
What You Will Learn:
- Part 1 Foundational Backbends: In the first session we will begin with the gentlest backbends and then progressively build upon these poses to develop an understanding of the essentials of healthy extension.
- Part 2 Fundamentals of Forward Bends: In the second session we will begin with the basic anatomy of flexion, then translate this information into poses that open the back body without straining the lower back.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Videos: Each session will have a companion video practice that will allow you to experience these principles and alignment in your own body, so you can continue to explore these ideas in an ongoing way.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 4 non-contact hour CEs with Yoga Alliance.