The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali were written more than 2,000 years ago, but they still hold much wisdom and guidance for modern living.
In this 3-part online course, yoga teacher and wellness consultant Anusha Wijeyakumar will go into the 8 Limbs of Yoga as described in the Yoga Sutras and discuss their relevance for our yoga practice and our lives.
Sage Patanjali listed the 8 Limbs of Yoga as an eight-fold path leading to greater perfection of our being, in the words of yoga philosophy, ultimately to enlightenment or liberation from ignorance and the suffering that brings.
In this course, we will explore the 4 padas of the Yoga Sutras and the significance to our yoga practice. You will learn about the Hindu deities associated with the Yoga Sutras, along with the practical significance for daily living.
You will also learn about the 3 different types of sadhana – or practice – associated with the 8 limbed path and how to apply them in your practice.
Anusha then shows how the 8 Limbs of Yoga can be understood as components of both our outward and inward quest as we advance in our practice.
What You Will Learn:
- What is Sadhana? What is a Sadhaka?
- Why the first 3 limbs Yama, Niyama, and Asana are considered Bahiranga Sadhana, i.e. the outward quests of the sadhaka spiritual aspirant.
- Why the next 2 limbs Pranayama and Pratyahara are described as Antaranga Sadhana, i.e. the inward quests.
- Why the last 3 limbs Dharana, Dhyana, and Samadhi are described as Antaratma Sadhana, i.e. the quest of the soul to live in harmony internally and externally.
- Meditation, mudra, and mantra practice focused on internal reflection and inquiry to help us work towards collective liberation.
This Course Also Includes:
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of all webinar sessions – both MP3 (downloadable) and MP4 (streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of All Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the webinar sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 non-contact hour CEs with Yoga Alliance.