The ancient yoga masters instructed us to conserve our prana so our mind would be clear and our energy vibrant. Linking breath to prana they discovered the secret to health through a process of reduction and subtlety. Yet, our modern day yoga classes have us noisily respiring at huge volumes that expend prana and may in fact be detrimentally affecting our health! Robin has spent the past eighteen months investigating the link between the original teachings of pranayama and respiration as she has come to understand it through the Buteyko breathing method.
In this two part webinar, Robin Rothenberg will illuminate us about the process she has undergone and the basis for her conclusion that when it comes to breathing: less is literally more. She will also address the physiology of breath reduction as it impacts CO2 and O2 levels and its value in addressing chronic stress syndromes such as HBP, IBS, asthma, COPD, headaches, anxiety & chronic fatigue. This webinar will invite you to reexamine your current pranayama practice – and may literally transform every breath you take!
What You Will Learn:
- How to make sense of the mass confusion of pranayama techniques by learning the fundamentals of respiratory science in a clear and accessible manner
- Why bigger breaths burden the body and increase the physiologic stress load
- The quintessential value of CO2 and its unique role in maintaining proper pH, oxygenation and control of the inflammatory response
- How reduced breathing can help control food cravings and support weight loss while increasing aerobic capacity
- The intimate connection between over-breathing and snoring/sleep apnea
- How Dr. Buteyko correctly identified the over-breathing syndrome and developed the technique of reduced breathing to successfully address asthma, COPD & High Blood Pressure
- To directly experience the link between prana and citta – vital energy and the mind through the practice of reduced breathing.
- To control the breath as was originally intended by the yoga masters by making it more subtle and refined consistently throughout the day and night.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video: Enjoy a yoga practice video that Robin will create specifically for the course. The intention of the practice is to integrate the reduced breathing into an asana practice and to give students an opportunity to explore the impact of the breath on the postures and the postures on their breath. The asanas are intentionally kept simple so the effect of working with the breath can be more fully experienced. It is a complete practice with pranayama woven in throughout.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the webinar sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3.5 non-contact CEs with Yoga Alliance.