Twists are profoundly delightful. They take us deep into the spine – rotating, twisting, squeezing, strengthening, and releasing the tissue that lies along the midline of the body. Twists can improve digestion, relieve pain, and help improve posture. Almost immediately the upper body stands more upright with greater ease and relief.
However, as incredible as twists are, they can lead to a certain addiction with going deeper and this can lead to dysfunction. When not practiced correctly, twists can lead to a number of issues, most commonly SI joint pain, but also neck pain, shoulder issues, and even protrusion of the vertebral discs.
In this course, Susi will show you how to understand the muscles involved in twist as well as the myofascia affected. Based on a deeper understanding of the primary engines of the twist and the planes in which the movement takes place, it becomes easier to understand the principles that help ensure correct alignment in twists.
Susi will also demonstrate some of the most common misalignments in twisting postures and will discuss the underlying compensations driving these misalignments. As a result, you will be able to better spot these compensations in your own practice or that of your students, and know how to address them by addressing the underlying factors driving the misalignments.
What You Will Learn
- How and why twists can be effective in reducing pain and injury
- How and why twists also can lead to pain and injury, and how to avoid it
- How twists can improve digestion
- Best practices for safe twists that bring about suppleness, stability and strength
- The mechanics of a twist—the different planes in which the twist takes place, and why it matters
- The engine of the twist—the key muscles driving the twist and how to engage them to avoid compensatory muscular engagement
- Typical compensatory strategies used in twists and how to spot them.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video. Enjoy a practice and demo video Susi has recorded especially for this course to help you visually observe and experience the dynamics of movement of healthy twists.
- Recordings of Both Sessions: Yours to keep. It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get the recordings of both sessions (MP3 – downloadable & MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 2.5 non-contact hour CEs with Yoga Alliance.