Back pain is the third most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office, one of the most common reasons for missing work, and the single leading cause of disability.
Yoga has been shown in numerous studies to be an effective technique for preventing and relieving back pain. In fact, research has found that yoga is as effective as physical therapy and exercise for improving back functioning and pain in people with back problems.
The question is – How do you do it? Which is the best way to work with yoga to relieve back pain?
An evolving understanding in the medical community and policy makers is that pain is not just a physical issue, and is more effectively addressed by also addressing stress, emotions, loneliness, and connection to meaning and purpose.
In this 3-part online course, yoga therapist Marlysa Sullivan, P.T. will draw on a recent research study to show how to create a comprehensive and integrated approach to managing or preventing back pain.
This course will discuss the different contributors to back pain and show how yoga offers a unique and holistic approach to working with low back pain.
What You Will Learn:
- Why back pain often isn’t just a physical phenomenon but is related to multiple dimensions of our being: physical, mental-emotional, social, and spiritual
- The role of the autonomic nervous system and the stress response in chronic back pain
- How polyvagal theory casts light on the physiological, emotional, and behavioral processes involved in back pain and what it means for our approach to back care management
- Principles for working with back pain in a yoga practice
- Components of a recent research study testing this approach to back pain, including the yoga practice protocol used in the study
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video: Enjoy a yoga practice video that accompanies this course designed by Marlysa Sullivan.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of all webinar sessions – both MP3 (downloadable) and MP4 (streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of All Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the webinar sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 non-contact hour CEs with Yoga Alliance.