Thirty-one million Americans suffer from low back pain, and increasingly, people with mild to moderate back pain seek out yoga classes to find relief for the condition. In this environment, it’s critical for yoga teachers to understand how to assess and address these conditions with intelligence, and above all, how to keep students safe.
In this online course, nationally renowned yoga therapist Robin Rothenberg, director of Essential Yoga Therapy and author of The Essential Low Back Program: Relieve Pain and Restore Health, will share her decades of experience in working with people with lower back conditions, both individually and in group therapeutic classes.
Robin co-authored and taught the groundbreaking National Institutes of Health studies on yoga for back pain with Karen Sherman published in the Annals and Archives of Internal Medicine in 2005 and 2011 respectively. Seventy-eight percent of the participants in the NIH study experienced a significant reduction in their back pain levels following just 12 weeks of yoga practice.
In this course, Robin will focus on the chronic tight/weak lower back that results from sedentary life style and poor postural alignment, as well as arthritic conditions like stenosis that limit range of motion. The emphasis will be on understanding the multifactorial nature of back pain and develop insight into how yoga can help support the healing process.
What You Will Learn
- Important do’s and don’ts when working with students with back pain
- How to distinguish between students with hypermobility and SI joint instability versus students with chronically tight/weak lower back condition
- Postures that help bring relief, posture types to avoid or use with caution
- How to organize a yoga practice to maximize pain relief and ensure your students’ safety
- The importance of breathing and sequencing when working with people with back pain conditions
- Key principles of core stabilization for students with back pain
- How to provide a safe way to learn to relax, stretch, and strengthen the lower back
- Lifelong tools to help keep their backs strong and restore their overall well-being.
As director of Essential Yoga Therapy, Robin offers a comprehensive two-year Yoga Therapy Training Program, as well as The Essential Low Back Training Program, a 5-day intensive for yoga teachers who seek an in-depth understanding of how to address lower back conditions through yoga.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video: What does a yoga practice targeting back pain relief include? What is the approach to practice? In this 45 minute yoga video practice, Robin illustrates the basic principles and approach of using yoga for back pain.
- Recordings of Both Sessions: Yours to keep. It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get the recordings of both sessions (MP3 – downloadable & MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
“This was a very nice, and beneficial presentation. Understandable and clear.” – Dawn G.
This course qualifies for 3 non-contact CEs with Yoga Alliance.