Pain and suffering is an inevitable part of human life. The ancient yogic wisdom offers us a means to end suffering by cultivating the capacity to come into alignment with our greater truth. From that space, we can learn to be with the full spectrum of experience and skillfully navigate those energies to heal and transform both physical, mental, and emotional pain.
How? A key is to learn to be with bodily sensations, says yoga teacher and physical therapist Marlysa Sullivan. In this course, Marlysa Sullivan will guide us through the wisdom of Tantra Hatha Yoga to give practical insights into how we can use the gateway of bodily sensations to develop greater freedom from habitual patterns of reactivity.
Pain takes many forms from physical discomfort and emotional pain to the chronic pain of migraines, headaches, neck pain, back pain, fibromyalgia as well as other body pains and limitations. In this two part course we will look at the models of pain and suffering in both the biomedical understanding of chronic pain and through Tantra Hatha Yoga. We will explore the structural model of common musculoskeletal imbalances and nervous system imbalances and the relationship of the mind and body as it relates to the experience of pain.
We will then look at how this aligns with the models of understanding pain through the koshas, gunas, prana, and energy body (chakras and granthis). We will look at how to explore both the biomedical and Yoga perspective together so that you can explain these concepts to clients as well as healthcare practitioners. You will then have the chance to do a practice that is focused on bringing the two together. We will have a follow up session to explore questions that arose as well as looking at integrating this into your practice as a yoga therapist.
What You Will Learn
- Structural causes of chronic pain conditions
- How the structural causes can give us a window to explore the body/mind connection from a more biomedical standpoint to explain to clients as well as to healthcare practitioners
- How Tantra Hatha Yoga philosophy would explain these issues through the lens of the Koshas, Gunas, Prana, energy body- bringing the biomedical and Yoga perspective together.
- Practices of asana, pranayama, meditation to help with chronic pain
- Your own experience of a practice
- Discussion of how to work with clients
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice: Marlysa has created a special guided yoga practice for this course, which illustrates how to use the energy-centered approach of Tantra Hatha Yoga to deepen your experience of the body and shifting energy patterns by tuning in to sensations and the flow of energy in the body.
- Recordings of Both Sessions: Yours to keep. It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get the recordings of both sessions (MP3 – downloadable & MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 non-contact hour CEs with Yoga Alliance.