Children are natural yogis. Their sense of playfulness and willingness to try new and often challenges yoga poses, activities and exercises allows for tremendous inner and outer growth and development. In this 2-part online course with children’s yoga expert Donna Freeman, founder of Yoga in My School, focuses on how the ancient practice of yoga can help our children thrive in our modern technologically driven world.
With the media and business claiming a “Creativity Crisis” among today’s youth, it is essential to assist our children in fostering their unique vision and developing their ingenuity, originality and resourcefulness. Discover how yoga can assist children to not only increase strength, balance and flexibility, but also develop emotionally, mentally and socially.
Today’s children have to contend with growing levels of stress, as the increasing pace of society conspires to crowd out the free time they have to play and just be children. Donna examines the role stress plays in inhibiting creativity and emotional understanding, and introduce specific techniques for reducing stress, developing awareness and cultivating peace, which will assist in managing stress, improving life balance and increasing health and wellness in both adults and children.
What You Will Learn
- Why ‘playing’ yoga is vital for children’s healthy development
- The importance of movement to foster creativity
- How both structure and free-play impact the development of creativity and imagination
- Key yoga-based tools to stimulate creativity and imagination
- Powerful partner and group activities and games to cultivate cooperation
- How to create child appropriate guided visualization
- Numerous relaxation techniques to soothe, calm and de-stress
Session One: The Power of Play to Build Emotional and Creative Intelligence in Children
In this session, Donna Freeman presents the importance of movement as a developmental and learning tool. She discusses why it is essential for children to ‘play’ yoga and how to create free-play opportunities with structure for optimal growth. We focus on specific asana and yoga-based activities which foster creativity and imagination. In addition, she explores how stress inhibits creativity and how to empower children to cope with tension and anxiety today and in their future lives.
Session Two: Kids Yoga: Co-operative Activities and Visualizations
This session is packed with a wide variety of partner and group yoga-inspired activities and games perfect for kids and families. Donna will share relaxation techniques suitable for children at any age, and also offer adaptable, child-friendly visualizations to help develop creativity, increase understanding and reduce stress.
Also Included in this course:
- Yoga for Kids Video Yoga Practice: Join Donna and a group of young yogis during a kids yoga class based on building strength. From standing tall to working together, finding balance to letting go, strength is a vital component to living well. Watch the principles covered during these two webinar sessions in action with children of various ages and abilities.
- Recordings of Both Webinar Sessions: Yours to keep. It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 and MP4), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.