If your neck is chronically tense and tight, and if the muscles in your upper back and shoulders feel as hard as a rock, you’re not alone. In our high-stress, hurried, 24/7 world—filled with work deadlines, financial pressures, terror alerts, and sleeplessness—many of us feel the weight of the world on our shoulders. Add to this emotional tension the postural stress of spending most of our days sitting, often bent over smart phones and laptops, and the result can be a serious pain in the neck. And the problem doesn’t stop here, as chronic neck pain is associated with a constellation of related disorders including headache, jaw discomfort, and backache.
While modern medicine offers most people struggling with neck pain little other than painkilling medications that address the symptoms–but not the cause–of their problem, the yoga practice can be a powerful form of self-care and profound relief. This course is based on Carol Krucoff’s work with countless yoga students and yoga therapy clients, as well as her own struggles with neck pain–that arose when she was a reporter and editor at The Washington Post for 10 years (1977 to 1987). She found yoga’s therapeutic benefits were so helpful that she furthered her study to both heal herself and to teach others how to access this extraordinary tool-kit.
What You Will Learn
- The science of neck pain and how yoga can help
- The physical connections with neck pain—posture and body mechanics
- The emotional components of neck pain—stress and the energetic body
- Practical guidelines for sitting, standing, and moving with proper alignment
- Sequences to stretch tight muscles and strengthen weak ones
- Breathing and awareness practices to relax body and mind—on and off the mat
- Essential self-care practices for lasting relief
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practices with Carol: Enjoy several yoga practices targeting neck and shoulders, which Carol has created for the course.
- Recordings of Both Webinar Sessions: Yours to keep. It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 CEs with Yoga Alliance.